Hayshire UCC’s history is full of many wonderful events, amazing stories and beautiful people… people with a strong faith, a deep commitment, a sense of humor and a love for each other and the community. Hayshire’s foundation was built and continues to be fortified by strong leaders, willing workers, and persistent dreamers.
In April 1953, the committee on National Missions reported to Mercersburg Synod of the Evangelical and Reformed Church that there was interest in a church north of York. On December 30th, 1955, Mr. and Mrs. George Hay Kain, Jr. deeded the initial 2-acre of property for the new church.
On October 7, 1956, the first service of the Hayshire UCC was conducted by the newly called Reverend Roland Roehner at the Alert Fire Company Hall with 95 attending.
March 20th, 1959, the building of the church began. The building provided a space for worship, education, fellowship and service.
On February 15, 1963, the congregation called the Reverend William Shambaugh as their second pastor. Reverend Shambaugh was an excellent preacher and worship life of the church took on great importance. Reverend Shambaugh served Hayshire UCC for 31 years.
The congregation organized a preschool program in 1960 to provide the community children a Kindergarten experience, The preschool program continues to thrive today.
In 1995, the congregation called Reverend Phyllis Baum as their third pastor. She was a passionate leader and teacher at Hayshire for over 16 years, and in that time, led the congregation in realizing Hayshire’s dream of building a new sanctuary.
In 1998, the congregation adopted a Mission Statement to guide their decisions and ministry. In that summer, a planning committee was formed and an old dream was revived. The original building plans included the addition of a sanctuary. In the fall of 2000, an initial building capital campaign raised $635,000. In July of 2002, the groundbreaking ceremony was held. April 6th, 2003 was moving day, as the service that day started in the old sanctuary and ended in the new.
January 25, 2015, was an important day in the history of Hayshire. The congregation voted unanimously to call Pastor Brenda Marin as the fourth settled pastor. Her first worship service with us was on Easter Sunday, and since then, she has continuously encouraged us to broaden our perspectives and offer an extravagant welcome to everyone.
At Hayshire, the dream lives on. A dream to be a church of the community that serves others in the name of Jesus Christ. Our hope is that Hayshire will continue to live by the vision to be a place will people can worship and to grow in the faith share in christian fellowship.